Monday, February 3, 2014

“Children get older, and I'm getting older too”

lyrics from "Landslide" (Fleetwood Mac)

It’s been another tough week. My mom became ill while working 3 weeks ago and has been mostly bedridden since. She’s made several trips to the doctor and has been diagnosed with a failing liver and preliminarily liver cancer (can’t be officially diagnosed until they do a biopsy this week). 98% of all liver cancers begin somewhere else, with only 2% isolated to the liver. I’ve read as much as I can and know recovery is very unlikely.  Her condition is dire, and it is only a matter of time.

We had dinner December 23rd and she looked fine, and said she felt good. It was so comforting to have her with me that night. The night gave me hope. It made me feel like I possibly could do this alone, as long as I had the support of my mom.

I’ve told myself that it’s important for me to document, as I can, about how I am doing without you here with me. Unfortunately, it looks like this is the next difficult step that I will be making alone.

I never dreamed that this would happen now. Now when I am still discovering how to live without you. You always joked how if you were gone, at least my mom and I would be free to travel – anywhere and everywhere. Now it looks like that will never happen. I am feeling lost – how does one adjust to being a widow and an orphan at the same time?!?!?

I know that “the script” is for me to be stoic and supportive – and I so desperately want to be there for my mom. It takes all that I have to just finish this entry. I love you babe! Please help me get through this, as I am struggling. I just want things back, the way they were – before I began my new weird widow lyfe!


No comments:

Post a Comment